26 June 2008

gori

being a Sikh of non-punjabi descent is usually interesting, often amusing, sometimes annoying, and at times, even scary.

one of the biggest hurdles is a whole new culture.  now, every culture has it's pros and cons.  sometimes we get so absorbed in our own culture that we aren't aware of it's flaws.  sometimes we're so absorbed in our own culture that we forget other cultures even exist!  and sometimes when we attempt to explore another culture, we realize we're in way over our heads!

i was raised in a pretty normal middle class white family, in suburban america.  we wore shoes inside.  we ate together as a family, mom too.  my dad even cooked.  we weren't pressured into going to college to pursue a career we didn't have any interest in.   we were expected to find our own mates through trial and error.  we can choose to have babies, even girl babies, or we can choose not to.  and apparently, we were not taught how to be "hospitable" to guests.  i had no idea.

when i became a Sikh, i thought i could just adopt Sikhi culture.  i never realized that i needed a crash course in Punjabi Housewifery 101.  no one told me that i needed to have several varieties of sweet and salty snacks on hand at all times, just in case someone dropped by.  no one told me that i should formally offer water, juice, soda, coffee, and tea to everyone who walked in the door.  i didn't realize i had to be ready to drop everything and throw a dinner party with dal, sabji, a paneer dish, roti, rice, and dessert in case someone dropped by my house unannounced. :)   but i'm learning!  (the hard way)

in the culture i grew up in, we call before we visit.  in the culture i grew up in, when a friend visits a friend, we say, "make yourself at home", and we mean it.  yes, that means you can say, "hey, do you have anything to drink?" or even walk into the kitchen, without being considered rude.   this whole formality thing is just lost on me.  sure, i'll be prim and proper for elders or strangers.  but to friends?  what's the point?  what are we trying to prove?  isn't it better to just "be yourself"?  apparently not.

don't get me wrong, i think punjabi hospitality is an incredible thing.  it shows the famous generous spirit of the punjabi people.  in Sikhi, we see echos of it in Langar and the fact that every Gurdwara in the world has it's doors open to travellers.

but sometimes it seems like people use it to show off.  i'm thinking of these elaborate weddings, where people mortgage their homes to serve huge feasts to people they barely know...  vegetarians suddenly order meat dishes, non-drinkers buy cases of wine...  what's with that?   it's one day out of your life, how can it possibly change your social standing?  well surprisingly, it can.  or so i'm told.

yes, i'm married to a punjabi man and have a punjabi family.  yes, i think they're incredible and i wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.  but they're SIKH first and punjabi second.  they worry more about their avastha and less about what the neighbors are saying about them, and i love that. 

yes, i get weird looks for being the gori in the turban.  yes, i get harassed online by racists who think Sikhi is for punjabis only.  and yes, my punjabi friends misunderstand my open and sometimes blunt (ok, mostly blunt) way of communicating.   but come on, guys, i'm the GORI.  it's not my fault i don't know how to act.  my parents didn't teach me.

but i'm learning!

Bhai Gurdas ji tells us how we should treat our fellow Sikhs.  THIS is the culture i need to learn.   and so i will.

pairee pai paa khaak hoe rradd manee manooree|| The Sikh of the Guru, falling at the feet (of Guru) forswears his ego and desires of mind.

paanee pakhaa peehanaa nith karai majooree|| He fetches water, fans the Congregation, grinds flour (for langar) and does all manual jobs.

thraparr jhaarr vishhaaei(n)dhaa chul jhok n jhooree|| He cleanses and spreads the sheets and gets not dejected while putting fire in the hearth.

muradhae vaa(n)g mureedh hoe kar sidhak sabooree|| He adopts the contentment like a dead person does.

cha(n)dhan hovai si(n)malahu fal vaas hajooree|| He gets such a fruit of living near the Guru, as the silk-cotton tree gets by being near the sandal tree i.e. it also becomes fragrant.

peer mureedhaa(n) pireharree guramukh math pooree ||19|| The Sikhs loving the Guru make their wisdom complete.(19)

but if my kids want huge weddings with six course meals, they better get a job first! 

6 comments:

Mai said...

Jasleen, dear Sister,

You bring a big smile to my face.

While Punjabi hospitality is legendary, it is also a royal pain in the ass for the lone woman of the house. And I know you are in position where you feel you are being judged, especially by the ladies of the sangat.

Guess what! That's not paranoia; it's fact.

But take heart! As Sikhi becomes more and more known, accepted and even adopted (!) by Westerners, these customs must, of necessity, mellow and merge, as well. Eventually.

And there is an up side. You are allowed to drop in unannounced at others' homes and be the recipient of all this.

As you know, I grew up in a large, joint family (seven brothers, wives, rugrats, dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, etc.) Daddy always insisted that we eat dinner as a family, everyone in residence. But Daddy was a bit ahead of his time, I suppose.

We all chose our own careers, but we were expected to be self-supporting, myself included. I chose my own husband - but truthfully, I would never have married anyone without Daddy's approval. And Daddy was a fabulous cook.

Elaborate weddings - like mine - are a big waste, I agree. I would have prefered a small affair, with me and my new husband free to go off and...you know. But how could the only daughter of a wealthy man deny her father a pleasure he had long looked forward to? I think dinner had about 40 courses, as I recall; maybe not that many, but we ate ourselves silly. No meat, though! And anyone bringing in anything like booze would have had to contend with Daddy's kirpan, the long, very sharp, formal one.
Still, these weddings must be toned down; there is a hukam in Delhi in effect about that now. Last I heard, it is being enforced.

I have a good friend - Punjabi - who insists that the future of Sikhi is bleak if we don't move beyond Punjabi culture, not just the ego-centred hospitality, but also the petty bickering that often degenerates into violence, the dirty politics and divisions and hatreds among various groups - castes - in the not-so-saadh sangat.

I believe that Sikhi, as envisioned by our beloved Guru Jis, is a happy way of life, a way of loving simplicity and equality, focusing on living well, improving the lives of all, serving each other, men and women, side by side, in harmony and equality. As women, we should not be expected to work ourselves to exhaustion to maintain a good reputation.

Now, take your life as it is today and stir in a little Sikhling or two...

Chardi kala!

Mai said...

I think I can,
I think I can,
I think I can,
I think...waddya know, I CAN!!

Mehtab Singh said...

As usual great post sis. Come to think of it, I feel there are several aspects of both Indian and Punjabi culture that do nothing but SUCK!!!

SIKHI CULTURE ALL THE WAY !!!!!

Singh said...

hahahaha,it was an amazing read!! jasleen ji, u as always have done a gr8 job of fair representation.
keep it up.

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

I ask once and take someone word for it when they decline. No game playing. When someone visits I drop everything and cook, but that mean a wait. Since I live a good ways off, most folks let me know they are coming ahead of time. I've gotten phone calls by young ones who know my ways. "Auntie I'm coming. Have cookies ready" :)

jagdeep singh said...

In India dowry system is sill on height. Just way of demand has been changed, now people don’t say directly. But indirectly they demand for everything. Why people do like this?
I have nothing to say.